FERPA: Form Information for Advisors, Faculty, and Staff
Access to student records
The Student Consent to Disclosure Form in Owl Express offers students a new way to grant parents/guests access to their education records.
- The Student Consent to Disclosure Form in Owl Express is the preferred method to provide access to a student's education and/or billing/financial records.
- Students can grant and assign access to individuals for specific records of information to anyone they choose.
- The Student Consent to Disclosure Form is NOT a blanket authorization allowing access to ALL the student’s education records.
- Faculty/staff must check which parent/person has access to which information before speaking to anyone about information on a student’s record
- Each person can be given a unique PIN number as an option to help you confirm the identity of the person.
- After confirming the PIN number, staff must also check the specific information the student has given access for that specific person.
Viewing PIN and Access
Step 1: Log into Owl Express and select the Advisor Services or Faculty Services tab.
Step 2: Scroll down the list of links until you find Student Consent to Disclosure Form (FERPA Release)- Administrator View.
Step 3: Click on the link and enter the Student ID number for the student. The next screen will show the
individuals the students has granted access to.
Step 4: When you locate the name of the individual, select View from the “Action” column to determine which records can be discussed.
Step 5: Download and save the step-by-step guide for future usage.
Please pay attention to specific access per person!
For example, just because an individual is allowed to discuss a student's grades, does not give you permission to discuss past due charges.
A student may allow one parent to discuss only their grades. For another person, they may allow access only to their billing records.
- University faculty/staff need to confirm which parent/person has access to which information before speaking to anyone about information on a student’s record.
- It is preferred to communicate with the individual, in person, where you can validate their identity by viewing their government issued photo id.
- The student can change access for his/her person and can also choose to stop access to his/her information at any time. Therefore, it is necessary to check the Student Consent to Disclosure Form view for every time you speak to a parent/person.
We encourage faculty/staff to ask students to use the new Student Consent to Disclosure Form. However, if you are in a situation where you need to use the paper form, please contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance.
Remember, FERPA governs what may be released, but does not require you to disclose any information.
When in doubt, contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance or view more information at ferpa.kennesaw.edu.